Simply delicious roast chicken for a traditional Sunday roast, or sliced with salad or in tacos
- 1 lemon
- 1 1.5kg / 3.5lb chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp Seasoning 1 or 2
• Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
• Slice the lemon halfway through lengthways and place inside the cavity of the chicken.
• Pour the olive oil into the bowl blend together with the Seasoning 1
• Spoon the mixture all over the chicken, working it into all the nooks and crannies.
• Place the chicken in a roasting tray and pour over the remaining flavoured oil.
• Cover the chicken loosely with foil and roast for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and roast for another 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4 and roast for a further 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. It's fully cooked if the juices run clear when the bird is pierced in the thigh with a skewer.
• Turn off the oven and let the bird rest in the residual heat for at least 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, then carve.
• Stir the seasoned pan juices over the hob to heat through.
• Serve the carved chicken on a large platter and pour the pan juices over the top.
Chicken cooked this way is incredibly versatile, you can add to the roasting tray whatever vegetables you have in. You can even add some new potatoes or chopped sweet potato for a heartier feast. Serve with a big green salad and even some crusty bread to mop up all those delicious juices.